Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Serious Obsession: Dubstep

Everyone has one. No, let me rephrase that. Everyone has at least one. I have a number. Number one, and probably my most crippling, is my addiction to dubstep.
Yep, that's me most of the time. But without the knife.

Now when did this start you my ask? Well I am MORE than happy to tell you the story. :-)

*Cue the dimmed lights; darkened, quiet atmosphere; puffs on pipe thoughtfully and strokes long, gray beard wisely*

My first taste of dubstep was in grade five. We were doing this dance project where we would get into groups, pick a song, (Yes, any song. Of course, no swearing or inappropriate lyrics but hey, WE get to pick our songs! This was awesome.) and choreograph it. Yup, we got to dance to any song with our best friends. School was so great back then. But this isn't the good part.
My group and song isn't important here. The important part is when we presented. A group of boys did a dance (mainly consisting of strutting and hair tossing) to this REALLY WEIRD SONG. It was like, growling and screeching and guitar shredding. It sounded like a wolverine getting thrown into a blender with a bunch of nails. (There are many dubstep memes involving blenders. I highly disagree, but remember, this was my very first encounter with such.)
Anywho. So naturally, my first question was "That's what you call DANCING?"
My second question however was, of course, "What song was THAT?"

So I asked Devon, one of the group's members, what the heck that song was. Here's how it went:

Me: "That was and neat song choice. Uh, WHAT WAS IT?"
Him: *Bang toss* "Bangarang. You know, Skrillex."
Me: *Deer-in-the-headlights* Who's Skrillex?
Him: He's, you know, dubstep.
Me: *Still deer-in-the-headlights* Okay, WHAT'S DUBSTEP?
(Another group member, Lyric, joins in)
Lyric: Really fast guitar playing.
Me: Oh. Cool.
(That awkward moment where everyone's said all they wanna say so we're just all stand in here looking at each other)
Me: 'Kay, thanks, bye.

So I went home that day and promptly forgot about it.

But not for too long!

A month or week or whatever later, my school's annul Valentine's Day Dance was taking place. That means red, white and pink hearts, streamers and balloons in the gym and truly awful music playing.

Now remember, even B.D. (Before Dubstep), I was pretty out there with music selection. While my girlfriends preferred Taylor Swift (where country music goes to die), Bruno Mars ("singing" with a cough drop stuck in your throat), and of course, One Direction (a bunch of British pretty boys no different from The Beatles besides lacking in originality, class, and legend status), I preferred the works of Rush (Freewill, Armour and Sword), Metric (Youth Without Youth, Breathing Underwater) and even a little bit of Nirvana (Lithium, In Bloom).
So, between "Grenade" and "That's What Makes You Beautiful", I'm sure you can guess what song was playing.
No, not Bangarang. If you've ever actually heard that song, you would know its not exactly a school's V-Day dance material. If you haven't heard it, I'm telling you now, its not a school's V-Day dance material. However, you're in the right direction, for it WAS Skrillex.
Here's how this went:

Background Music: "...but you won't do the same!"
Me: "Ugh, thank god THAT'S over."
Background Music: (Interesting beat/rhythm, completely unfamiliar to my intrigued ear)
Me: "Hey Haleigh! What song is this?"
Her: "Cinema!"
Me: "By who?"
Her: "Skrillex!"
Me: *Group dance flashback* "Oh, I think I know Skrillex! like, Bangarang, right?"
Her: "Yeah! He has other songs, too! Me and Aleks requested this one!"
Me: "Cool! Let's listen! :-D"
Background Music: "...I never know what's comiiing, forever fascinaated..."
Me: *Thinks* "Hmm, this is pretty good for a love song! :-P"
Background Music: "You are, a cinema, I could watch you foreeever. Action, thriller, I could watch you foreeever."
Me: *Thinks* "Aw! This is nice! :-)"
Background Music: "My cinema, my cinema..."
Me: *Thinks* "Oh, okay, so this guy is calling his girlfriend a cinema, like a movie theatre, cuz he can watch her forever cuz she's so beautiful! That's so sweet!"
Background Music: *Weird, high-pitched voice* "Get up, get down, loose that sound, my DJ gonna break it down!"
Me: o_o "Haleigh?"
Background Music: *Really deep voice* "DR-DR-DR-DR-DR-DR-DR-DR-DROP THE BASS."
Me: "..."
Background Music: "WOW WOW, wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub HERRRP, wee WUB WUB wee WUB WUB wee wee WEE WEE!!!..."
Me: "!"
Me: "WHOA I LOVE THIS! :-D"

AFTERWARDS.
I go home and immediately turn on my Wii. I go on YouTube. I search: "cinema skrillex". I click on the first one I see and hit play.
My ears EXPLODE with wonder!
Its even better without a bunch of kids screaming over top!
I replay it again and again till dinnertime!
So of course, I have to find more.
I search Bangarang and I find its awesome music video that you must watch now. I'll wait.

Isn't that SO COOL?!
Yeah, it is.

I discovered so many good songs, JUST BECAUSE of that dance.
And it doesn't stop there.

Soon after, I introduced my neighbour, Grace (who was seven at the time), to Skrillex. To my great and utter surprise, she loved it! She became as obsessed as me! In fact, SHE is how I discovered this great Skrillex song also Knife Party, who I love for this creeptastic video. She is so cool.

After receiving a Kobo Arc

from my grandparents, I opened up a whole new world of possibilities for expanding my dubstep obsession. I downloaded the Noise FM app, a radio station playing PURE AND ONLY DUBSTEP, a ton of dubstep wallpaper apps, and music apps to house and sort my ever-growing collection.
In short, I LOVE DUBSTEP. While many people (usually teachers, parents and neighbours) despise dubstep with a passion, I, as well as many of my best friends including Mikayla (check out her advice blog here), Rebecca, and of course, Devon and Haleigh, absolutely love dubstep and everything about it. Now for a quick Q&A!

Q: Who's your favourite DJ?
A: Mhm, Skrillex for sure.

Q: Favourite song?
A: -_- Seriously? My favourite song changes practically every day or even hour, but at the moment, it's The Limit by Fonik.
I'll be posting another entry listing the bet dubstep artists and song currently existing. Stay tuned.

Q: Is it true that all dubstep sounds the same/like a broken blender?
A: No, it absolutely doesnt. Depending on the artist it may, but in general, no. Dubstep is noted for being unique.

Look, if you haven't already heard any dubstep, check out the links above or stay tuned for a soon-to-come post about the best dubstep to date. You won't regret it.
And if you do, well, you're probably an irritable adult. And you shouldn't be here. Get out. This blog is for awesome people only!

1 comment: